Skip to main content

EIGHT PLANES AND SEVEN DAYS

UNDER THE GUISE OF HOMESCHOOLING, Lizzie and I took a trip! Our plan was to visit friends and family in North Carolina and then head on over to DC for a little history lesson.

Day ONE:

3/26/09 SLC-LAS 7:45 AM
Lizzie and I met up with my friend and co-worker Jennifer at the airport that morning. She and her husband Mark were headed to DC until we could get out there. The flight was uneventful other than some turbulence. We got a bite to eat in the Las Vegas Airport and waited for the next flight.

3/26/09 LAS-JFK
The flight leaving out of Vegas was extremely terrifying. At one point the flight attendant, Janie had to tell me 'it's going to be ok, Joanie' as she was hanging on for dear life in the back. I mean come on. I'm not a wimp. Even the seasoned professional was flying in fear!

JOHN F KENNEDY AIRPORT NEW YORK HIGHLIGHTS















We had a
little bit of a layover
so we ordered food with Jennifer and Mark.

First day on the trip, the airport food didn't seem so bad.

Jennifer

Below, Lizzie is calling home to talk to Dad

She loves to talk on the phone and pose for pictures.




And of course, Sentrina had to come with.
What a good kitty.Just stuff her in a bag and off she goes!



3/26/09 JFK-CLT
Our flight was delayed getting into Charlotte. I don't recall why but we ended up getting in at 1:30 AM instead of the scheduled 11:20 PM. My great friend, Jan picked us up at the airport and by the time we got to her home and settled in bed, it was around 2:30ish. Long day. Tired travelers. Zzzzzz.


Day TWO:
3/27/09 Concord, NC
Jan was kind enough to let us sleep in. Maybe she was tired too. I woke up around 10ish and wanted to head out for a walk/jog. The air in North Carolina was absolutely perfect. I could have walked all morning but wanted to get back to see my friend. I snapped a few shots of the neighborhood so you can see how beautiful the days were while we were there.



Jan's beautiful home

We didn't do a whole lot that day. We grocery shopped, dropped Rileigh off at gymnastics, made dinner, and talked while the kids entertained themselves. It was very nice to be with my 'playpen friend' and her family. The next day we had an early wake up call yet even so, she was polite enough to let me talk her ear off till late into the night. I have a tendency to do that.

Day THREE:
3/28/09 Raleigh/Durham, NC
The morning of the State Gymnastic Meet came early. I think we had to get up around 5:00 AM to be on the road by 6:00. Getting up for her meet brought back good memories of the many competitions for Brianne. Doing the hair and glitter on the face, making sure we had the grips, leo's, gym bag etc. It all had a familiar feel to it. Once at the meet, the lack of sleep hit me and Lizzie. At one point, I think I was snoring while actually talking to Jan. I'll just write that off to jet lag and leave it be.

Rileigh did a superb job. She placed well in most of the events and came in 6th in the All Around. Way to go Rileigh! We are really proud of you.



























After the meet, we had lunch at Wendy's with Scott's folks (Jan's husband). After getting a tour of their new home, we had the long drive back. Jan was the perfect hostess and had me sit in the front. Sadly, it was wasted on me because I may have fallen asleep then too.
Scott, did I snore?















Lizzie had kind of a thing for the car TV.
Maybe her parents live in the dark ages?

That evening, Jan had a yummy dinner, baked delicious cookies and the kids played outside in the hot tub. After getting Scott dressed for a Toga party (yeah, you read that right) Jan and I just sat on the couch and talked once again.

Recently, Jan and Scott (like a week ago or so) finished their pool and landscaping around the yard. It turned out fabulous. Take a look-see.


































Oh, that's Lizzie, being a HAM!







thanks friends for a wonderful time
...til we meet again



Day FOUR and FIVE:
3/29-30/09 Concord/Lexington, NC
In the morning, my in-laws Penny and Malcolm picked up Lizzie and me. We headed up to their place and while driving we decided to get everyone together and have lunch at Emad and Marlena's new restaurant, NAPLES. Opened just a week! The cuisine is Italian and the place was hoppin' with hungry customers. That's a good sign. Congrats E and Marlene!
























the whole family minus a bunch

During our stay there, we did some shopping, went to church (church?), had lots of yummy food out, went to Lizzie's cousins house, had a tour of Penny's new craft store she just opened (she's a shrewed business woman) and just enjoyed our time together. Mary and I discussed cameras and she basically told me this about my sad little Nikon. "Do you remember 8 track tapes? That's what yours is like" Like I said in a recent post, I NEED a new camera. Oh yes, and Lizzie walked around the property and counted how many cars, trucks, snowmobiles, etc grandpa has in the yard. Some unbelievable number like 24 I think is what she told me. Isn't there a bus or 2 as well Liz? 24. Wow.

Grandma's new store!

Lizzie with cousin John

Day SIX and SEVEN:
3/31-4/1/09 CLT-JFK *** JFK-IAD
Another day of air travel. I woke up early and called the airline to see how the flights looked for us. It was starting to look as though we might not get on so I decided we needed to head to the airport quickly. I was touched when the entire family came to see us off. Grandma and Grandpa, Merle, Penny Ann, Mary and baby Maky. In our rush to leave, we didn't make breakfast so I asked if we could stop for something along the way but Grandpa didn't see the McDonald's in time and while trying to find another place to eat, he missed the airport entrance. He wasn't aware that he did this and after what seemed like several miles, someone finally asked if he was going to turn around and go back to drop us off. Maybe there's good food in South Carolina?? He did eventually turn around and we made it in time for check in and were a high priority on the list. Whew!


Charlotte Chili's

Once there, Lizzie and I had some time to kill and ended up eating at Chili's and paid the equivalent of a small mortgage payment for some chips and salsa! By now, the airport food was average to not-so-good. But, we made our flight back to JFK and it was there that Lizzie and I finally did some homeschooling. I think she took a math test. I think I ate a donut.

I wished I had my laptop.


waiting for our plane to DC

calling home
(can you see the need for the new camera? Blurry!)
3/31/09 IAD Dulles International Airport, Chantilly,Virginia

Washington D.C., here we are! The last stop on our agenda. It felt good to be on the ground again. Jennifer and her sister, Lynette picked us up and we headed for dinner at some resturaunt I can't remember the name of, but it was tasty. By now I am growing weary of eating out but what's a traveler to do?

Our next destination....The Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial and a walk around the Tidal Basin to see the blooming Cherry Blossom Trees.

this is not my picture









Because my camera is so lame, I borrowed Jennifer's but I was unfamiliar with it so not all the night shots are not as clear as they could be.







Elizabeth very much wanted to see the White House. She loves our new president but was slightly disappointed that the house was 'smaller than she imagined' What in the world did she expect?? The place is a mansion! This 'high expectations' fits well with her Nordstrom fetish. Anyway, we tried to figure out which room Malia and Natasha sleep in, where the swing set (playground) is etc. Lizzie even picked a blade of "Presidential Grass" through the gate. I was afraid we'd be immediately surrounded at gunpoint but we escaped an arrest. Thank goodnness.

the white house at night

After a good hour drive back to Lynette's in Maryland, we were ready for bed once we got there. Lizzie and I slept on a blow up bed that was actually fairly comfortable. I slept like a baby and hopefully didn't keep Jennifer up with my snoring. (Are you seeing a pattern here?) She was on the couch in the same room. What a good friend to put up with me.

On day seven, I was rather slow to get going. I just wasn't in a hurry to get back into DC for the sight seeing. I think I had run out of steam by now. Thankfully Jennifer wasn't in a hurry either. We took our time getting ready and then headed for the Metro Station. We parked the cute little rental car and boarded the train. It was a nice ride in. Stress free. I like that kind of transportation.


Since we got into DC kind of late, we only saw a few things that day. Arlington Cemetary and the Smithsonian History Museum. My favorite thing in DC, believe it or not, is the Cemetary. I always cry when I watch the changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I don't know why but I do. It moves me. Lizzie watched in complete silence. (mostly because they tell you to be quiet!) Just as they guards began to change, it started to rain. You can see it in the pictures if you look closely.




SMITHSONIAN CURIOSITY:


First Lady Innaugural Dress

Windsailing in the invention room


After we had our fill at the Smithsonian, it was time to meet up with Malcolm's aunt, Marilyn. We had a wonderful dinner and spent a few hours just talking and getting to know each other better. She and her husband, Dennis, were gracious enough to pay for all of our meals, including Jennifer's . Thank you again, Marilyn and Dennis.

walking across the mall on our way to dinner
Lizzie with her 'buddy' while waiting for dinner

the waiting bench outside the resturaunt

Dennis, Marilyn, Joanie, Lizzie
(Jennifer taking picture)


We left DC around 9:30 and headed back to Maryland. We all were tired but it was a good day and even though we didn't see a fraction of what DC has to offer, I felt my 9 year old's eyes were opened and she may drift back there in the future to soak in more history. When we got back to Lynette's, we spent a little while discussing the scriptures with her husband who's a bishop in their ward and then fell into a peaceful slumber.

Day EIGHT:

Lynette and I got up and went to Dunkin Donuts so there would be breakfast. Of course, I didn't want her to have to serve us her food but also, it was my excuse to indulge. After donuts and milk, we packed up our things and headed back to IAD for the the flight back to JFK. The road we took went through what I call the countryside of Virginia. It was beautiful but the neighbors are too far apart and civilization too far away. What happens if you run out of eggs? Your nearest neighbor is like miles away. That just wouldn't work for this city girl. Give me a slab of cement for the back yard and a Nordstrom for Lizzie and we will be fine.

We checked in, got boarding passes and headed to the security line. Can I just say that I don't like Dulles Airport? The personelle is unfriendly, the airport is confusing and they confiscated my facial scrub! It was .5 oz over the allowable limit! This was my 7th flight and it was taken away? Sad. But we pressed on even under my durress. We arrived in JFK and by now, airport food was of the devil. I was _done_ with eating out, eating chicken nuggets, and even, eating Dunkin Donuts. I wanted a home cooked meal. Sadly, I had to submit to the fast food gods and we got pizza. Ugh. My stomach.


FLIGHT DELAY and THE SICK MAN:

I have to tell this story because it was so horrible to endure and I need everyone's pity. On the very last leg of our flight we boarded the plane with anticipation of our return home. We were nicely situated when suddenly this man behind us began to cough. Gross, but whatever. Well, he coughed and coughed and coughed so much I thought he was going to lose a lung right there. Soon, the pilot announced that because we were minus one flight attendant, we had to deplane. I guess beginning April 1, JFK was down to 2 runways and our flight attendant was still hovering over us in a holding pattern waiting for approval to land. I never thought I'd enjoy hearing "Im sorry, but we need to have everyone off the plane" so much. Maybe because the sick guy was coughing with such an alarming force, they'd deny him re-boarding? One could only hope. Luckily, because I am an employee, Lizzie and I got to remain in the plane. She really enjoyed this since the co-pilot let her hang out with him in the cockpit.



Anyway, they let the sick man board again and he started right in with his hacking. I can't even begin to describe how horrible it was to sit in front of him while he gagged and coughed and discussed his bodily fluids with the unfortunate guy next to him. Everyone around Mr. Sicky was disgusted for at least 8 rows forward and back and almost everyone had on their headphones cranked at full volume to drown him out. It didn't work for me though. My hearing is too keen. I sat in total repulsion from New York to SLC thanks to a coughing FREAK! Even the poor kid next to me called the attendant for some Airborne which they didn't have so he settled for a cranberry juice, or four.

By the time we landed, I had gone deaf, felt ill and was dialing the doctor for an emergency penicillin shot. Just kidding but I did drop my clothes at the door once we got home and I took a long hot shower before I even hugged my family. What I really needed was a Haz-Mat scrub down!


Aside from being contaminated in the airplane, our trip was a total success. When I asked Lizzie what her absolute favorite part of the trip was, her answer... 'Spending time alone with you, Mommy'. That made the entire trip worth it , including having to endure... The Sick Man.



Comments

  1. Joanie,
    What an exciting trip! I love all the pictures you took. You'll never forget that time with Lizzy. You are brave. Sometimes I think about taking Natalie on a trip(just the 2 of us) and then I chicken out. I love reading your bloggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that trip sounds amazing!! I want to go back there so bad... maybe someday. How fun for Lizzi! And your photos are breathtaking. I've heard it's beautiful back east. And I love your sick man story but YUCK!! It almost made me sick reading about it! What a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom says

    Thanks for the bloging lesson. I'm happy that you and Lizzie had such a good trip to remember,

    Glad you saw Jan. Best friends forever,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you guys had a great trip. We are looking forward to seeing the whole gang....maybe next time?!

    Loves and Hugs
    Mary:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was fun talking to you on the flight. I added you to my blog and am now "following" you so we can keep in touch.
    Thats fun that you have all girls. I hope you got home to everything ok.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TINY GIRL, BIG MOMENT

HOW DO OUR LITTLE ONES GROW UP RIGHT UNDER OUR NOSES... Ellie Mae, who will be turning five on the 31st, is small for her age. She still wears a size 3. She has tiny feet, tiny legs and a sweet, tiny voice. To this mother, she is still my baby. Friday night, May 15th, 2009 Jacque's Preschool of Taylorsville , Utah gave the thumbs up for Miss Ellie to enter Kindergarten this coming fall. How can this be? Something must have happened when I wasn't looking. I want to go back.... But we cannot. Our sweet tiny baby will not allow it. She is intelligent, confident, prepared and above all, she wants to let her own little light shine. I must let go of the apron strings. Life moves forward. Here's to your own journey Miss Ellie Mae. I love you with all that I am. Shine brightly. mom

FLUTE FEDERATION

SATURDAY AFTERNOON, we all headed downtown to the University of Utah for Flute Federation. It's an event whereby the student plays a memorized piece and they are judged by professional flutists in the area. It is not a competition, they are judged only against themselves and they are given a score and feedback which helps them to know where they need to devote more time or where they are already skilled. This was Jasmine's first Federation and she was quite nervous but did very well. She performed a Concerto in G Major by Quantz. We do not have the feedback sheets yet but she did receive a 'superior' which is the highest score she could have gotten. Way to go honey!! walking out the door